Thursday, December 27, 2007

First shots of wall-hanging in progress

Here is an overall shot.  Last night I affixed the lace.  You can still see the edges hanging off because I haven't trimmed them yet.  You can also see my beautiful (not!) plastic garbage bag background that I work on.  I took this next to a window while standing on the counter, BTW.
Here is a closer shot that shows more detail but still shows the entire width of the piece.  I think the color is more true in this shot.
Here is a closeup.  I hope you can see the subtle vertical stripes in the background of the piece created by the scrim.  I hope that these will create interesting effects as I go.  I have a few small butterfly lace motifs on order, and I am hoping to add three or so of them in an accent color to stand out from the rest of the piece.  
Next, I will begin applying iridescent layers.  I did not yet up until this point because of the quantity of paint, but I do like this matte base color.  

6 comments:

Needleroozer said...

Where did you get the lace that is on the outside edges? the one that looks kind of like a cord, with the lacey bits now and gain. Did you buy that one or find it? I want to do some of this this week, and I found some cording I was thinking of trying, but I like the lace you used.
LB

Needleroozer said...

Have you ordered from Lace and Beyond yet? Is there anything I need to know about ordering from another country (with different money)? How does that work? And how are these for stupid questions?
LB

Cassandra said...

The lace on the outside edges was a Goodwill coup, I'm sorry to say, because that means I have no idea where you would get it. I removed that lace from a pillowcase or something or other. I'm sorry I can't help you more with locating it. I did notice that Allison seems to have a similar lace on one of her holiday dresses, but I can't just go ripping that off--sorry! ; )

I did order from Lace and Beyond but it hasn't arrived yet (I'm sure because of the holiday jamming up the postal system). She made "foreign" ; ) customers use PayPal, and the money showed up in Australian dollars. I just went and looked at the details of the transaction, and it showed how PayPal converted $38.42 USD to $43.70 AUD. And they didn't charge for the conversion, which is nice. The shipping charge was nominal, but it might be by "slow boat," which is OK with me.

Oh, no, these are not stupid questions at all. My heavens, I've been peppering you with much worse questions for weeks and weeks!

Thanks for reading. I have some other shots of further stages that I plan to post tomorrow.

Needleroozer said...

Thanks! I think I will go and look some more- I loved the birds and the butterflies. The one butterfly I had was one I got in Belgium 25 yrs ago!
LB

Needleroozer said...

Okay, you are a bad lady! ;-)
Because of you, I just bought $32. worth of little butterflies and dragonflies!!
It said it would take 1 to 2 weeks for overseas orders.
Please let me know if you find other sources of lace motifs, ok? Have you ordered any lace from Joggles yet? I need more daisies.
LB

Cassandra said...

Sorry (downcast eyes), I know I'm a bad influence. Which butterflies did you order? Honestly, I didn't think any vendor I came across on Google could even compare to her selection. And no, I haven't ordered any from Joggles.

Speaking of daisies, I don't know if this will work for you, but the individual flowers you have seen on some of my pieces came from lace I bought from WM. My WM has what I call "daisy-chain lace" where you can easily cut the flowers apart into individual pieces. So if that would work for you, I recommend you check your WM. Last night when I went to buy more I found the lace in three sizes. I got a spool of medium and a spool of small.