Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Response to Book Meme

When Needleroozer tagged me, my reaction was, "Huh?  What on earth?"  Being new to blogland, I was unaware of these kinds of activities ; ).  But I went to her blog and figured out what's going on. 

The bad news is that the nearest book is really a tome:  Classical Rhetoric for the Modern Student by Edward Corbett and Robert Connors.  I am reading it to prepare to teach a high-school grammar and composition class in the fall.  Here's my selection:

"In summary then, let us say that when we are engaged in any kind of deliberative discourse, we are seeking to convince someone to adopt a certain course of action because it is conducive to happiness or to reject a certain course of action because it will lead to unhappiness.  The two main special topics under the general head of happiness are the worthy and the advantageous.  In developing these special topics, we will sometimes have occasion to use some of the common topics, such as the possible and the impossible (when urging the advantage for instance, of a certain course of action, we may have to show that the course we are advocating is practicable or easy) and the topic of more and less (when seeking to direct a choice from among a number of goods, for instance, we have need of criteria to help us discriminate degrees of good)."

Long sentences, no?  Here's who I'm going to tag (don't know how to do live links yet):  DuraMater and Little Red House.  I read some other blogs, but I don't know them well enough to feel like I can tag them *blush.*  But hey, I tried to participate, which is a big step for me!

5 comments:

Needleroozer said...

Cool! Way to go. Autor Pleas? That isn't D'Angelo, is it? I was acutally hoping your book would be a bit meatier than mine, and lol, it sure was!

Ask me about doing links when you have me on the phone, and your computer in front of you- it's easy, but as usual for me, I am not sure how to type it versus tell you.
LB

Needleroozer said...

Ooohhhh, typos. I hates them typos, I do.

Cassandra said...

Sorry I didn't list the authors. I corrected the blog to show them.

Needleroozer said...

Corbett was my second guess!

Mary said...

Thanks, Cassandra It sounds like a fun meme. I'l be sure to play and pass it on later in the week. :)
xoxo,
Mary