Saturday, January 5, 2008

To Fringe or Not to Fringe?

I have included two sets of photos below. You can see from my last posting the wall hanging as it currently is, with no fringe. But the cord I bought to hang it with had a bundle of tassels at each end. The tassel thingies were too gaudy and bulky, but when I took them apart I had a bunch of smaller, usable tassels that I threaded in a line and laid at the bottom of the piece. Well, I guess it's the bottom! I'll have to decide which end is up.

Anyway, I have laid the tassels out two ways. Here are the tassels showing the gold wrapping:


Here are the tassels with the gold wrapping hidden:


OK. (1) Should I tassel? (2) If so, which way looks nicer (showing gold or not)? (3) How do I attach the crazy things?  I wouldn't want to try to stitch them to the back and have the stitches show through, for example.  (4) Are they too long (should I give them a haircut)?

I vacillate between liking the gold showing and thinking it's a distraction. Also, I have to spread them out slightly to cover the subject. So, if I attach them with the gold showing, will it look odd that they are spaced out? I'm wondering if it will be less noticeable that I barely have enough of them ; ) if I attach them with the gold hidden.  In addition, I wonder if it will continue the "flowy" theme of the piece to have the gold hidden so that the purple tassels flow out from the lace.

Or maybe I'm overanalyzing because I have no idea how I would attach them! 

Decisions, decisions.

1 comment:

Needleroozer said...

Ok, Yes, on the fringe. Yes on either the gold or no-gold, but I think I personally like the gold a bit better. Brings our the reflection of the gold you put on it, and helps your eye move around the piece.

I like the length of the fringe as it is- too short would not look good on such a long piece- I think it gives it balance.

As for attaching the fringe, I would use a strong, sharp needle to hand-tack it on, just as close (or even in)to the zig-sag stitching as possible, with matching thread.

About the zig-zagging around the edge- there is a trick to it, though I think it would be easier to tell it than write it, so we can touch base on Tues.

It is really coming out beautiful- you have so inspired me- I can't wait to get my lace pieces- I am trying to come up with something in my head that says "spring". Trying to figure our what colors to use.

Oh- someone wants to buy the frog collage- any thoughts on pricing? THe dimensions are roughly 23" X 16", and it was my first effort, so to me, it seems like selling a "second", but if it pleases someone, and they offer money, who am I to refuse? This is an interesting part of being an artist I hadn't yet thought about!

Again, way to go, girl! It looks great!
LB